There is an increased awareness of what goes in us and comes out of us!!!!!!!!! Maybe it’s the social media, the zillions of pictures posted, the adulation and mutual appreciation that makes us more conscious…………as long as we do not obsess over our diet and eat healthy food and remain within the weight/ height chart, it is a good thing that has happened. There is a plethora of information, myths, studies, research and interest in food. A lot of the ‘super-foods’ are available locally, others reach us from thousands of miles away. The negative calorie foods require more energy to metabolize them than they produce. In my mind, the important points to consider regrading food, the most useful and inexpensive among them, grown in India are :
- Eat fresh food as far as possible, that grows locally around you. It has the advantage of variety as different food grows in different seasons……..if you can grow it yourself, there is nothing like it.
- Cucumbers are amazing, with a dash of salt and lime( which is also great for you), they need to be washed in drinking water before consumption.
- Watermelon is great for you as well.
- Apples- remember, an apple a day keeps the doctor away?
- Oranges, lime,,,enjoy.
- Cabbage and lettuce….beware of cysticercosis, clean thoroughly or boil.
- Carrots and radish.
- Bean sprouts.
- Papaya, pineapple ……………………..and ………………
- MANGOES 🙂 go for it, a glowing skin is a bonus……….
- Spices…garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and chillies boost your metabolism.
- Broccoli is grown locally as well now.
- The only zero calorie healthy drink is water..you can add a dash of lime, some people add honey. Red wine is supposed to be good for you, but hasn’t made it to my list. You do not need the exotic asparagus, blueberries, strawberries, etc etc……eat a rainbow of their ‘poorer country cousins’, which are amazing when it comes to health and nutritive value…..eat 3 small bowls of fruits / veggies per day. That does not mean that you should not eat a doughnut or enjoy a fatty meal…..:)
Click here if the image slider / comments don't load